Call for Submissions
Please note that Equestrian Culture has closed submissions as of June 8, 2015. We are working to respond to everyone who has submitted work. Thank you all so much for the overwhelming response to our call for submissions!
Inspired by the horse, Equestrian Culture considers equestrianism through the lens of art, design, and literature. Our curated content explores the many facets of the horse culture’s traditions, influences, and emerging trends in an interactive, highly visual digital format. We publish a new article, essay, poem or short story each Wednesday.
To love a horse is no small passion, and those of us who have shared this notion are inextricably linked. Equestrian Culture was founded to share and celebrate this bond.
2015 Editorial Calendar Quarterly Themes
Journey – CURRENT
Generations – MAY 1st
Moments – JULY 1st
Treasured – OCTOBER 1st
We are Seeking
- Personal Essays
- Short Stories (Fiction & Non-Fiction)
- Photo Essays
- Historical Articles
- Maker Biographies and Interviews (equine artists, photographers, designers, writers, business owners)
*Please note that we do not accept horse training advice/how-to articles, horse show coverage articles, rider profiles, or straight “Q&A” style interviews.
Article & Submission Guidelines:
We are excited to see your ideas and always look forward to receiving new submissions! We aim to respond to submissions within two weeks. If you do not receive a response from us within that timeframe, please email us again.
- Please begin the subject-line of your email with “SUBMISSION” and include a 2–3 sentence description of your submission in the body of the email.
- Attach the submission as a .doc, .txt or a .pages file. Other file types will not be accepted.
- Images should be shared with us via a large file-sharing application such as Dropbox or Hightail. Accepted image file types are .jpg, .png and .tif. Images should be at least 1900px wide and 72 DPI in resolution. Do not include images or graphics in the body of the submission.
- Include a short author biography (approx. 50 words), your full name, a link to your website (optional) and any social media pages you would like us to link to (optional) in the “About the Author” section of the article. This information can be included in the body of the email or attached with the submission.
- Submitted pieces should be edited carefully. Please do not send drafts.
- Again, we only accept original, previously unpublished content.
Format & Style
- Please include title of submission.
- Use Times, Times New Roman, Helvetica or Arial fonts for the body of your written submissions.
- Always include a list of sources for non-fiction/non-personal pieces such as historical articles and biographies. Please use Chicago-Style Citation to list sources.
- While there is no required minimum or maximum word count, the average word count for articles, essays and short stories is 1,000-2,500 words. Short stories longer than 4,000 words may be broken up into multiple installments.
Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “SUBMISSION” in the subject line of your email.
Please do not submit any written work, graphics, artwork or images without the permission of the original author or creator. If submitted images or graphics require credits or captions, please provide that information in a separate document. It is your responsibility to obtain any permissions required for the use of all images, artwork, graphics or written work created by others.
By submitting an article, poem, essay, work of art, photo, graphic, etc. to Equestrian Culture, you warrant that you are not violating any copyrights and are submitting original, previously unpublished material.
Equestrian Culture is granted First Worldwide Internet Rights of accepted submissions. Please note that all articles published on EquestrianCulture.com will remain on the website and accessible to readers indefinitely after publication.
Accepted Articles & Payment
We pay $25–$50 for each accepted submission we publish. Payment will be sent within 15 days after the piece’s publication on EquestrianCulture.com.
We aim to respond to all submissions within two weeks. If your piece is accepted, we will notify you within that timeframe and will schedule your work in our editorial calendar at that time.
Please email email@example.com should you have any questions about the submission process or if you would like further information. We look forward to hearing from you!